Photo: Seagull boss says move over! The boss seagull is landing on his favorite spot and another seagull is... http://t.co/rn7HPZvvqX
Seagull boss says move over http://t.co/08NUzmkTXx
Cat on doorstep in winter http://t.co/nZhdnX6fBh
Photo: Cat on doorstep in winter Tiger striped (tabby) cat on doorstep in the winter after snowfall. Wide... http://t.co/mgRupMO4YL
Tag Archives: temple
An Erhu (Chinese violin) player and a listener at the entrance of the Temple of Heaven Park in Beijing, China.
Nikon D3X and Nikkor 70-200 mm 2.8G at 70mm, ISO 200, f/11 and 1/60 sec. Processed in Aperture
The erhu is a two-stringed bowed musical instrument, more specifically a spike fiddle, which may also be called a “southern fiddle”, and sometimes known in the Western world as the “Chinese violin” or a “Chinese two-stringed fiddle”. It is used as a solo instrument as well as in small ensembles and large orchestras. It is the most popular of the huqin family of traditional bowed string instruments used by various ethnic groups of China. A very versatile instrument, the erhu is used in both traditional and contemporary music arrangements, such as in pop, rock, jazz, etc. The erhu can be traced back to instruments introduced into China more than a thousand years ago. It is believed to have evolved from the xiqin, which was described as a foreign, two-stringed lute in Yue Shu (lit. book of music), an encyclopedic work on music written by music theorist Chen Yang in the Northern Song Dynasty. The xiqin is believed to have originated from the Xi people of Central Asia, and have come to China in the 10th century. The erhu consists of a long vertical stick-like neck, at the top of which are two large tuning pegs, and at the bottom is a small resonator body (sound box) which is covered with python skin on the front (playing) end. Two strings are attached from the pegs to the base, and a small loop of string (qian jin) placed around the neck and strings acting as a nut pulls the strings towards the skin, holding a small wooden bridge in place. (wikipedia)
The Pantheon (“to every god”) in Rome, Italy was built by Marcus Agrippa in 27 BC and rebuilt by Emperor Hadrian in about 126 AD. The inscription translates to: “Marcus Agrippa, son of Lucius, made this building during his third consulship”.
Nikon D3X and Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8G at 35mm, ISO 200, f/11 and 1/100 sec. Processed in Photoshop.
In the aftermath of the Battle of Actium (31 BC), Marcus Agrippa built and dedicated the original Pantheon during his third consulship (27 BC). Located in the Campus Martius, at the time of its construction, the area of the Pantheon was on the outskirts of Rome, and the area had a rural appearance. Under the Roman Republic the Campus Martius had served as a gathering place for elections and the army. However, under Augustus and the new Principate both institutions were deemed to be unnecessary within the city. The construction of the Pantheon was part of a program of construction that was undertaken by Augustus Caesar and his supporters. They built more than twenty structures on the Campus Martius, including the Baths of Agrippa and the Saepta Julia. It had long been thought that the current building was built by Agrippa, with later alterations undertaken, and this was in part because of the inscription on the front of the temple. The concrete for the coffered dome was poured in moulds, probably mounted on temporary scaffolding. The oculus is the main source of natural light. The inscription across the front of the Pantheon says: M·AGRIPPA·L·F·COS·TERTIUM·FECIT or in full, “M[arcus] Agrippa L[ucii] f[ilius] co[n] s[ul] tertium fecit,” meaning “Marcus Agrippa, son of Lucius, made this building when consul for the third time.” However, archaeological excavations have shown that the Pantheon of Agrippa had been completely destroyed except for the facade, and Emperor Hadrian was responsible for rebuilding the Pantheon on the site of Agrippa’s original temple. (wikipedia)
The Fontana del Pantheon (English: Fountain of the Pantheon) was commissioned by Pope Gregory XIII and is located in the Piazza della Rotonda, Rome, in front of the Roman Pantheon.
Nikon D3X and Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8G at 24mm, ISO200, f/11 and 1/320 sec. Processed in Photoshop.
The Fontana del Pantheon (English: Fountain of the Pantheon) was commissioned by Pope Gregory XIII and is located in the Piazza della Rotonda, Rome, in front of the Roman Pantheon. It was designed by Giacomo Della Porta in 1575 and sculpted out of marble by Leonardo Sormani. In 1711, Pope Clement XI requested that the fountain be modified and had Filippo Barigioni design a new layout, which included a different basin, made of stone, and the obelisk of Ramses II set in the centre on a plinth with four dolphins decorating the base. In 1886, the original marble figures were removed, and replaced with copies by Luigi Amici. Today, the originals can be seen in the Museum of Rome. (wikipedia)
The Temple of Heaven in Beijing, China.
Nikon D3X and Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8G at 40mm, f/8, 1/200sec and ISO 200.
The image may be licensed at istockphoto.
The Temple of Heaven, literally the Altar of Heaven (simplified Chinese: 天坛; traditional Chinese: 天壇; pinyin: Tiāntán; Manchu: Abkai mukdehun) is a complex of religious buildings situated in the southeastern part of central Beijing. The complex was visited by the Emperors of the Ming and Qing dynasties for annual ceremonies of prayer to Heaven for good harvest. It has been regarded as a Taoist temple, although Chinese Heaven worship, especially by the reigning monarch of the day, pre-dates Taoism. The temple complex was constructed from 1406 to 1420 during the reign of the Yongle Emperor, who was also responsible for the construction of the Forbidden City in Beijing. The complex was extended and renamed Temple of Heaven during the reign of the Jiajing Emperor in the 16th century. The Jiajing Emperor also built three other prominent temples in Beijing, the Temple of Sun (日壇)in the east, the Temple of Earth (地壇)in the north, and the Temple of Moon (月壇)in the west. The Temple of Heaven was renovated in the 18th century under the Qianlong Emperor. Due to the deterioration of state budget, this became the last large-scale renovation of the temple complex in the imperial time. (Wikipedia)