Photo: Seagull boss says move over! The boss seagull is landing on his favorite spot and another seagull is... http://t.co/rn7HPZvvqX
Seagull boss says move over http://t.co/08NUzmkTXx
Cat on doorstep in winter http://t.co/nZhdnX6fBh
Photo: Cat on doorstep in winter Tiger striped (tabby) cat on doorstep in the winter after snowfall. Wide... http://t.co/mgRupMO4YL
Tag Archives: classic
The Pantheon (“to every god”) in Rome, Italy was built by Marcus Agrippa in 27 BC and rebuilt by Emperor Hadrian in about 126 AD. The inscription translates to: “Marcus Agrippa, son of Lucius, made this building during his third consulship”.
Nikon D3X and Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8G at 35mm, ISO 200, f/11 and 1/100 sec. Processed in Photoshop.
In the aftermath of the Battle of Actium (31 BC), Marcus Agrippa built and dedicated the original Pantheon during his third consulship (27 BC). Located in the Campus Martius, at the time of its construction, the area of the Pantheon was on the outskirts of Rome, and the area had a rural appearance. Under the Roman Republic the Campus Martius had served as a gathering place for elections and the army. However, under Augustus and the new Principate both institutions were deemed to be unnecessary within the city. The construction of the Pantheon was part of a program of construction that was undertaken by Augustus Caesar and his supporters. They built more than twenty structures on the Campus Martius, including the Baths of Agrippa and the Saepta Julia. It had long been thought that the current building was built by Agrippa, with later alterations undertaken, and this was in part because of the inscription on the front of the temple. The concrete for the coffered dome was poured in moulds, probably mounted on temporary scaffolding. The oculus is the main source of natural light. The inscription across the front of the Pantheon says: M·AGRIPPA·L·F·COS·TERTIUM·FECIT or in full, “M[arcus] Agrippa L[ucii] f[ilius] co[n] s[ul] tertium fecit,” meaning “Marcus Agrippa, son of Lucius, made this building when consul for the third time.” However, archaeological excavations have shown that the Pantheon of Agrippa had been completely destroyed except for the facade, and Emperor Hadrian was responsible for rebuilding the Pantheon on the site of Agrippa’s original temple. (wikipedia)
The Fontana del Pantheon (English: Fountain of the Pantheon) was commissioned by Pope Gregory XIII and is located in the Piazza della Rotonda, Rome, in front of the Roman Pantheon.
Nikon D3X and Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8G at 24mm, ISO200, f/11 and 1/320 sec. Processed in Photoshop.
The Fontana del Pantheon (English: Fountain of the Pantheon) was commissioned by Pope Gregory XIII and is located in the Piazza della Rotonda, Rome, in front of the Roman Pantheon. It was designed by Giacomo Della Porta in 1575 and sculpted out of marble by Leonardo Sormani. In 1711, Pope Clement XI requested that the fountain be modified and had Filippo Barigioni design a new layout, which included a different basin, made of stone, and the obelisk of Ramses II set in the centre on a plinth with four dolphins decorating the base. In 1886, the original marble figures were removed, and replaced with copies by Luigi Amici. Today, the originals can be seen in the Museum of Rome. (wikipedia)
Nikon D3X and Nikkor 14-24mm 2.8G at 14mm, f/5.6, 1/100sec and ISO 400.
Working with photoshop – correcting perspective, cropping, adjusting highlights & shadows, desaturating and downsizing the file before uploading to istockphoto.
The Pantheon (from Greek: Πάνθεον, an adjective meaning “to every god”) is a building in Rome, Italy, commissioned by Marcus Agrippa as a temple to all the gods of Ancient Rome, and rebuilt by Emperor Hadrian in about 126 AD. The building is circular with a portico of large granite Corinthian columns (eight in the first rank and two groups of four behind) under a pediment. A rectangular vestibule links the porch to the rotunda, which is under a coffered, concrete dome, with a central opening (oculus) to the sky. Almost two thousand years after it was built, the Pantheon’s dome is still the world’s largest unreinforced concrete dome. The height to the oculus and the diameter of the interior circle are the same, 43.3 metres (142 ft). It is one of the best preserved of all Roman buildings. It has been in continuous use throughout its history, and since the 7th century, the Pantheon has been used as a Roman Catholic church dedicated to “St. Mary and the Martyrs” but informally known as “Santa Maria della Rotonda.” The square in front of the Pantheon is called Piazza della Rotonda.